Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What to bring for brunch?

My hockey team does this fun thing where we all bring brunch items for games and tournaments so that we can hangout after the game (and sometimes before) with the other team, munch on some good food and enjoy each other's company.

For our last brunch, I brought rhubarb coffee cake (a favorite recipe that I'll be sure to share soon). Last weekend I racked by brain trying to think of something to bring that was a., tasty, b., easy to eat while standing around chit-chatting, and c., easy to transport and serve.

I was leaning toward some kind of egg dish in a crock pot, when I found this recipe from Pillsbury.

Pillsbury photo
Here's how I made it:

OVERNIGHT BANANA FRENCH TOAST

1 loaf gluten-free bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (I used a mixture of Udi's whole grain and Food for Life's rice almond bread)
8 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup maple syrup (I used the fake stuff)
4 bananas, sliced
Spray a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Arrange bread cubes in baking dish.
In large bowl, beat eggs, milk and 1/2 cup of the maple syrup with wire whisk. Pour over bread in baking dish. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
Heat oven to 350°F. Uncover; bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown along edges. Let stand 7 to 10 minutes before serving.
Slice bananas over the baked dish. Generously drizzle the remaining maple syrup over the bananas. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment