Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My favorite lentil soup



I stumbled across the recipe while looking for a different soup recipe.

This is one of my mom's recipes. It was a favorite of mine growing up. I requested it so often, that it was pretty much a weekly staple at our house.

I hadn't had this soup in years, but as soon as I saw the recipe I started craving it again, and it's still as good as ever.

I'm not sure where the recipe is from. I have a photo copied version and it clearly came out of some cookbook, and it is actually called "My favorite lentil soup."

MY FAVORITE LENTIL SOUP

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large or 3 medium onions, chopped
3 carrots, grated
2 teaspoons Italian spices
1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes with their juice
7 cups broth
1 1/2 cups dried lentils
1/2 teaspoon salt
ground pepper to taste
6 ounces dry white wine (this time I used red because that's what I had)
grated cheddar cheese to taste

Heat oil in large soup pan, add the onions, carrots and spices. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the tomatoes, broth and lentils. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until the lentils are tender.

Add salt, pepper and wine. Simmer soup for a few minutes.

Blend with a stick blender. (The recipe says to leave it chunky, but I like it blended).

Serve with cheese sprinkled on each portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment