Monday, March 5, 2012

Mom's chocolate chip cookies (kind of)

My mom makes the world's best chocolate chip cookies. I might be somewhat biased on that, but the mom love baked into each bite is unbeatable.

This is her signature recipe, and it's perfect:

MOM'S CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

Cream together:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar

Add:
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Add:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup chocolate chips

Grease a jelly roll pan. Spread batter into pan.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
Let cool for 10-15 minutes (or however long you're patient). Cut into cookie bars.

These can also be made as drop cookies. Cook them 8-10 minutes.



Despite the perfection of this recipe, I can't resist but monkey with it each time I make it.

I hadn't made these cookies in probably a couple years, but decided they would be a good treat to take to a weekend ski get away.

The following recipe was my attempt to make the cookies healthier, and of course, gluten free. This wasn't, by a long shot, the best version I've ever made. The cookies came out with a cake-like texture and density -- none of the ooey-gooeyness of a chocolate chip cookie. I was pretty disappointed with them at first. I wasn't going to share this recipe, but once I got over them being nothing like my mom's cookies, I decided they were OK(ish).

My recommendation is to go with the original recipe, but just in case you're curious, here's the version I used.


NOT-AS-GOOD-AS-MOM'S CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

Cream:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar

Add:
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 riped mashed banana
1/4 cup (roughly) peanut butter

Mix and add:
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (I used a combination of sorghum, brown rice and tapioca)
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips (a generous cup)
1 cup coconut (this is my substitute for oatmeal, since oatmeal contains gluten)

Grease a jelly roll pan. Spread batter into pan.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
Let cool for 10-15 minutes (or however long you're patient). Cut into cookie bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment